Breaking News

Panel to explore possibility of redeveloping slum areas

PANAJI: With no slums notified in the state, the state level sanctioning and monitoring committee of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojna (PMAY) Housing for All (Urban) mission has decided to examine the possibility of redevelopment of slum-like settlements in partnership with private players under in-situ slum redevelopment scheme.

The committee will now identify tenable slums with respect to their location, number of eligible slum dwellers in that slum, area of the slum land and market potential of the land.

On the basis of analysis of slums, the Goa State Urban Development Agency (GSUDA), which is the implementing authority, will then decide on whether a particular slum can be redeveloped with private participation or not using land as a resource and houses can be provided to eligible slum dwellers.

According to the in-situ slum redevelopment scheme, any notified slums on central, state government or private land should be taken up for in-situ redevelopment under public-private partnership model for providing houses to all eligible slum dwellers. The scheme further says that the implementing authority should give only the required slum land to private developers and remaining slum land should be utilised for rehabilitating slums dwellers living in other slums or for housing for other urban poor.

Goa’s Economic Survey for 2017-18 stated that the highest slum population has been identified in Mormugao accounting for 90 per cent of the slum population of the state. Margao and Ponda together account for the remaining 10 per cent. The slum population has increased by 81 per cent over a decade. As per the 2011 Census, 26,247 persons are reported to be dwelling in slum areas.

As per the scheme guidelines, private partner for slum redevelopment would be selected through an open bidding process. Under the scheme, the Union government provides an assistance of Rs 1 lakh per house for eligible slum dwellers identified under in-situ rehabilitation of slum dwellers.

The slum rehabilitation project has two components – ‘slum rehabilitation component,’ which provides housing along with basic civic infrastructure to eligible slum dwellers and a ‘free sale component,’ which will be available to developers for selling in the market so as to cross-subsidise the project.

Check Also

Case hearing scheduled on Sept 23

Mapusa/Panaji: The additional district and sessions court in Mapusa Monday adjourned the hearing in connection …