SANKHALI: A Roll On Roll Off (Ro-Ro) train on Tuesday caught fire at Narve due to a short circuit which gutted a truck causing a loss of lakhs of rupees.
According to sources the train was carrying about 40 trucks from Panvel to Soratkal in Karnataka. On reaching Narve a truck caught fire on board the Ro-Ro train. The train driver was alerted about the incident and he stopped the train immediately.
Fire personnel from Old Goa and Bicholim along with a team of about 20 firemen rushed to the spot and extinguished the fire. In spite of all attempts the truck engine, cabin and tyres were totally gutted. Further loss was avoided due to the efforts of the firemen under the guidance of SFO Shripad Gawas.