Thursday , 19 September 2019
Breaking News

Second autopsy rules out physical injuries on Bismarque’s body


The second post-mortem has ruled out any physical injuries on the body of priest turned social activist Fr Bismarque Dias prior to his death. However, the opinion on the cause of death has been reserved pending the viscera chemical analysis report and the diatom test.

It may be recalled that the body of Dias was recovered on Saturday from a river near a sluice gate in his village St Estevam from where he reportedly went missing on Thursday night.  The first post-mortem report revealed the cause of death as asphyxia due to drowning. However, following the demands of Dias’ family and social activists, who suspected foul play, the Additional Collector, North Goa, had ordered for a second post-mortem, which was conducted on Sunday.

The second post-mortem was conducted by a panel of three doctors and according to sources, the report has ruled out any physical injuries prior to death but has reserved opinion on cause of death pending the viscera chemical analysis report and the diatom test. The second post-mortem report was submitted to the district administration, which has subsequently referred it to the Old Goa police for further action.

Following directions, the Old Goa police on Monday obtained water sample from the river where the body of Dias was found. According to information, the diatom test is done to ascertain whether diatoms found (in the body) are similar to that found in the water sample collected from where the dead body was recovered. Police said that the viscera along with the water sample will be sent to a forensic science laboratory outside the state for analysis.

According to police, Dias, along with two fellow villagers (youth), had gone to the sluice gate on Thursday night. Referring to the statements of the two youth who had accompanied Dias, police had said that all the three had gone at the site at night. Dias alone ventured into the river for a swim for the second time after which he went missing. Since there was no trace of Dias in the morning, the youth left for home assuming that the activist too must have gone home, the police said. The missing incident came to light when belongings of Dias were found near the sluice gate.

Check Also

Girl raped by swimming coach to depose in Goa

Mapusa: The minor girl allegedly raped by swimming coach Surajit Ganguly, and her parents have …