BEIRUT: Syrian army defectors killed at least 27 soldiers and security forces today in clashes in the southern province of Daraa, activists said, as the unrest in Syria grows more violent and spirals toward civil war.
If confirmed, the clashes would be among the deadliest attacks by rebel troops since the uprising began nine months ago. Citing witnesses on the ground, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said three separate clashes erupted at dawn. There was no immediate claim of responsibility. But the Free Syrian Army, a Turkish-based defector group, has in the past claimed similar attacks across the country.
The UN says more than 5,000 people have been killed since the revolt erupted in March. The President, Mr Bashar Assad's regime has come under broad international isolation and sanctions because of the violent crackdown on dissent.
The Obama administration is predicting Mr Assad's downfall, with a senior official likening his authoritarian regime to a "dead man walking."
The State Department official, Mr Frederic Hof, told Congress on Wednesday that Assad's repression may allow him to hang on to power but only for a short time.
"Our view is that this regime is the equivalent of dead man walking," said Hof, the State Department's pointman on Syria, which he said was turning into "Pyongyang in the Levant," a reference to the North Korean capital. He said it was difficult to determine how much time Assad has left in power but stressed "I do not see this regime surviving."
In an apparent bid to promote defections, Mr Hof warned Syrian troops and Mr Assad's top aides that Mr Assad may be setting them up for possible war crimes or criminal charges by claiming in an interview with ABC News last week that the army was not his to command.
"It's difficult to imagine a more craven disclaimer of responsibility," Hof told members of the House Foreign Affairs Committee. "Perhaps it is a rehearsal for the time when accountability will come."
On Thursday, Human Rights Watch issued a report alleging that dozens of Syrian military commanders and officials authorized or gave direct orders for widespread killings, torture, and illegal arrests during the wave of anti-government protests.
However, Mr Joe Stork of Human Rights Watch said that “given his (Assad’s) role as commander-in-chief, we have no doubt whatsoever that he knew or should have known what was going on.”
The 88-page report by the New York-based group, entitled, "'By All Means Necessary!', Individual and Command Responsibility for Crimes against Humanity in Syria," is based on more than 60 interviews with defectors from the Syrian military and intelligence agencies.
The report identifies 74 commanders and officials behind the alleged abuse.
"Defectors gave us names, ranks, and positions of those who gave the orders to shoot and kill, and each and every official named in this report, up to the very highest levels of the Syrian government, should answer for their crimes against the Syrian people," said Mr Anna Neistat, the associate director for emergencies at Human Rights Watch.
The report said the abuses constitute crimes against humanity and that the UN Security Council should refer Syria to the International Criminal Court.
Syria claims armed gangs and terrorists are behind the uprising, not protesters seeking more freedoms and reform in one of the most totalitarian regimes in the Middle East.
Mr Assad has sealed off the country to most outsiders while clinging to the allegation that the uprising is the work of foreign extremists, not true reform-seekers aiming to open the authoritarian political system.
The United Nations and others dismiss that entirely, blaming the regime for widespread killings, rape and torture.
In the ABC interview, Mr Assad told ABC's Barbara Walters that he never ordered the brutal suppression of the uprising in his country.