Saturday , 21 September 2019
Breaking News

NEW DELHI: Holding the Centre and the Congress responsible for Maharashtra government’s attitude, the TDP chief, Mr N Chandrababu Naidu on Tuesday threatened to launch a mass agitation programme if the Prime Minister, Dr Manmohan Singh fails to resolve the Babli issue amicably by August 10.

TDP threatens to launch mass agitation on Babli

NEW DELHI: Holding the Centre and the Congress responsible for Maharashtra government’s attitude, the TDP chief, Mr N Chandrababu Naidu on Tuesday threatened to launch a mass agitation programme if the Prime Minister, Dr Manmohan Singh fails to resolve the Babli issue amicably by August 10.

A day after meeting Dr Singh as part of an all-party delegation from Andhra Pradesh, he accused the Prime Minister of not being interested in solving the problems the state has with Maharashtra.
“Why is he (Dr. Singh) silent? Yesterday’s was the third representation that the parties from Andhra made to the Prime Minister on the Babli issue in three years. Still he told the delegation that he will first talk to technical experts and see what can be done. He is not interested,” he told reporters here.
He said the central government headed by the Congress should take responsibility and amicably solve the Babli barrage issue. Mr. Naidu also alleged that the Babli barrage was an “illegal construction” as it is being constructed by Maharashtra in the “submergence area”.
“I am telling the Prime Minister that he should solve the issue. The central government and Congress are responsible. We are giving him 15 days to solve the issue, otherwise TDP along with like-minded parties will launch a mass agitation. The date is August 10,” he said.
However, the former Andhra Pradesh chief minister refused to make public the form of his agitation.
Dr Singh had on Monday assured the delegation that he would intervene and try to sort out the problems between the two states on Babli.
Andhra Pradesh accuses the Maharashtra government of carrying out illegal construction and installing gates at the Babli barrage against a Supreme Court order, but Maharashtra disputes it.
Mr Naidu said the Maharashtra government has “illegally” erected 14 gates at the Babli barrage in Nanded district, which is against a Supreme Court order.
“The Maharashtra government has gone against the directions of the Centre and orders of the Supreme Court. But still the Prime Minister says he can sort out after consulting technical experts,” he said.
He also accused the Chief Minister, Mr K Rosaiah of failing to protect the rights of the state and pursuing the contempt petition filed against Maharashtra government by Andhra Pradesh.
“The contempt petition was filed last year and it is not being pursued. The Andhra government has failed the people of the state,” he said.
He said all steps should be taken to protect the interests of the lower riparian states.
 

Check Also

Fresh energy infused into corporate India: policymakers

New Delhi: Hailing the reduction in corporate tax and other fiscal relief measures as “bold”, …