AP
Dubai
Iran issued an evacuation warning for three major ports in the United Arab Emirates on Saturday, including the busiest in the Middle East, openly threatening a neighbouring countryâs non-US assets for the first time as its war with the US and Israel entered its third week.
Iran said the US had used âports, docks and hideoutsâ in the UAE to launch strikes on Iranâs Kharg Island, without providing evidence. It urged people to evacuate areas where it said US forces were sheltering.
Hours after the threat, there was no sign of an attack on Dubaiâs Jebel Ali port – the Mideastâs busiest – or the Khalifa port in Abu Dhabi. But Associated Press images showed a fire at the third port, in Fujairah, caused by debris from an intercepted Iranian drone hitting an oil facility.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told MS NOW that the US attacked Kharg Island and Abu Musa Island with low-range artillery from two locations in the UAE, Ras Al-Khaimah and a place âvery close to Dubai,â calling that dangerous and saying Iran âwill try to be careful not to attack any populated areaâ there.
Iran has fired hundreds of missiles and drones at Arab Gulf neighbors during the war, but it said it was targeting US assets, even as hits or attempts were reported on civilian ones such as airports and oil fields.
On Friday, US President Donald Trump said the US âobliteratedâ military sites on Kharg Island, home to the main terminal handling Iranâs oil exports.
He said oil infrastructure could be next if Tehran continues to interfere with shipsâ passage through the Strait of Hormuz, where vessels are backed up and one-fifth of global oil supplies usually transit.
Iranâs parliamentary speaker has said strikes against the countryâs oil infrastructure would provoke a new level of retaliation.
As global anxiety soars over oil prices and supplies, Trump said Saturday that he hopes China, France, Japan, South Korea, the UK and others send warships to keep the Strait of Hormuz âopen and safeâ.
Britain in response said it was discussing with allies a ârange of optionsâ to secure shipping.
On Saturday, Iranâs joint military command reiterated its threat to attack US-linked âoil, economic and energy infrastructuresâ in the region if the Islamic Republicâs oil infrastructure is hit.
Iranâs semiofficial Fars news agency said the Kharg Island strikes caused no damage to oil infrastructure. It said they targeted an air defence facility, a naval base, the airport control tower and an offshore oil companyâs helicopter hangar.
US Central Command said it destroyed naval mine storage facilities, missile storage bunkers and other military sites.
Israel earlier announced another wave of strikes in Iran targeting infrastructure, and said its air force had hit more than 200 targets in the last 24 hours, including missile launchers, defence systems and weapons production sites.
A US official said Friday that 2,500 more Marines with the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit and the amphibious assault ship USS Tripoli were being sent to the Middle East, adding to the militaryâs largest buildup of warships and aircraft in the region in decades.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive military plans.
Marine Expeditionary Units can conduct amphibious landings but also specialise in bolstering security at embassies, evacuating civilians and providing disaster relief.
The deployment doesnât necessarily indicate that a ground operation will take place. The Wall Street Journal first reported the Marine deployment.
The Tripoli was spotted by commercial satellites sailing near Taiwan, putting it more than a week away from waters off Iran.
Earlier in the week, the Navy had 12 ships, including the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and eight destroyers, in the Arabian Sea. The total number of US service members on the ground in the Middle East isnât clear.
A missile struck a helipad inside the US Embassy compound in Baghdad on Saturday. No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack. The embassy complex, one of the largest US diplomatic facilities in the world, has been repeatedly targeted by rockets and drones fired by Iran-aligned militias.
There was no immediate comment from the embassy. On Friday, it renewed its Level 4 security alert for Iraq, warning that Iran and Iran-aligned militia groups have previously carried out attacks against US citizens, interests and infrastructure and âmay continue to target themâ.
Meanwhile, Lebanonâs humanitarian crisis deepened, with over 800 people killed and 850,000 displaced as Israel launched waves of strikes against Iran-backed Hezbollah militants.