NT Reporter
Panaji
St Andre MLA Viresh Borkar has begun an indefinite hunger strike at Azad Maidan, Panaji, demanding the withdrawal of the notification issued under Section 39A of the Goa Town and Country Planning Act.
The move follows an incident on Saturday in which Borkar was reportedly manhandled by police while being forcibly removed from the TCP office located in a building at Patto, Panaji.
Leader of the Opposition Yuri Alemao has demanded the suspension of the policemen involved in the incident.
Several villagers from Siridao and other areas, along with Borkar, had been protesting at the TCP office since Friday.
They demanded that the Chief Town Planner immediately revoke the proposal granting settlement status to the steep slopes of Siridao and withdraw the notification issued under Section 39A.
“Without any order the police forcibly lifted me. The government has attempted to attack the peaceful protestors by using police force. I will continue to sit on hunger strike till our demand is not fulfilled,” Borkar said.
“We are not scared. We will fight to safeguard our villages, we won’t back out,” he said.
Alemao said the government is least bothered about the common man.
“People are trying to protect the land. In Goa’s history such an incident of an MLA being dragged and manhandled has not happened,” he
added.
“Imagine if the government can treat an MLA like this, what about the common man?” Alemao said, adding, “It is shocking, the MLA has been manhandled. I condemn the incident and demand suspension of the policemen involved.” He also advised the police, “Don’t be a puppet, your work is to maintain law and order.”
Revolutionary Goans Party president Manoj Parab urged Goans to support the movement demanding the scrapping of Section 39A.
“People will not leave from here until the demand is met,” Parab said while speaking during the protest at Azad Maidan.